Thursday, September 8, 2011

Peruvian Grilled Chicken

I'll be honest with you, I'm not sure what makes this chicken Peruvian exactly. The marinade is garlicky, but not especially spicy. There are no hot chili peppers in it, but there is soy sauce (which didn't originate in Peru last time I checked). Lime and paprika I can see. I don't know. Sorry to disappoint those of you who are looking to me for answers (that was your first mistake). But here's the good news...it's really good! Scrumptious, juicy and easy. And far be it from me to remove Peruvian from the recipe's title (for all I know, this really is how they make their grilled chicken - although I can't find any evidence to back that up).



PERUVIAN GRILLED CHICKEN
Makes 2 to 4 servings

marinade:
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
5 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 whole chicken (about 3 1/2 lb.), quartered
lime wedges for serving


Marinate chicken:
1.      Blend marinade ingredients in a blender.
2.      Put chicken in a large ziploc bag and add marinade. Seal bag and chill for 8 to 24 hours.

Grill chicken:
3.      Preheat grill to high, then reduce heat to medium-high and turn off one burner.
4.      Discard marinade, then pat chicken dry. Oil grill rack, then grill chicken over area with turned-off burner, skin side down first, covered, turning over once, until cooked through, 30 to 35 minutes.
Note: Chicken (quartered) can be roasted in middle of a 500° F. oven in a 13- by 9-inch roasting pan with 1 cup water for 30 minutes, then tented with foil and roasted until browned and cooked through, about 15 minutes more.

from Gourmet, September 2007 by Shelley Wiseman
adding paprika to marinade
all the marinade ingredients in the blender
marinade blended
chicken (I used all thighs instead of quartering a whole chicken)
chicken marinating
marinated chicken, patted dry
chicken on the grill
chicken turned over
exciting grill flare-up
(nothing closing the lid couldn't handle)

I did turn up the heat a few minutes before I took the
chicken off the grill (to make sure the skin was crispy)
grilled (hot and juicy)
.

No comments:

Post a Comment