Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Bob's Red Mill Scottish Oatmeal

Time again to recommend yet another of my favorite things...Bob's Red Mill Organic Scottish Oatmeal. I like the usual oatmeal (at least I thought I did before I tried this), but since I tried the Scottish variety, there's been no turning back. I think the creamy texture really sets it apart. It's more like porridge than oatmeal made with old-fashioned rolled oats, but still has enough chewiness left that it's not totally mushy like baby food.
I usually top mine with a little maple syrup or honey, sliced banana and a sprinkling of cinnamon. And if I've had a good night's sleep and I'm not feeling too lazy (what are the odds?), I might also add some golden raisins and chopped pecans (they're further back in the cabinet, so there's a good chance they won't make it to the bowl at all). My daughter likes hers with apple sauce mixed in. I can't remember what, if anything, my husband puts in his. I might need to start paying more attention to him.

With cold weather finally approaching, this is the best stick-to-your-ribs breakfast around. Super hearty and satisfying.
I think all the Bob's Red Mill products are great
(at least all the ones I've tried so far).
 
Here are the cooking instructions from the back of the bag. I like to make mine a little differently. I whisk together the oatmeal, salt and cool water and bring to a simmer (over medium-high heat). Reduce heat and keep at a low simmer (uncovered), whisking frequently until thickened (about 10 minutes). I like this method (no lumps). If you use the cooking instructions from the package, just be sure to whisk the oatmeal in slowly to help prevent lumps. I can't vouch for the microwave instructions (I've never used them).
adding the oats to the pan
adding the salt
pouring in the water
whisking
thickening very nicely
ready to find some ribs to stick to
toppings piled on before stirring

I was either well rested or more motivated than usual,
(knowing strangers would be checking out my breakfast).


What's the difference between oatmeals? 
Here's my overly simplistic breakdown (info. from chow.com):

All oatmeals are made from oats that have been hulled (the outside shell has been removed). It's what is done with the inside kernels (or groats) after that process that makes them different. 
  • Steel cut (or Irish) oats are cut very coarsely, making the oatmeal chewier and longer to cook.  
  • Scottish oatmeal is ground more finely, so it's creamier and takes less time to cook than steel cut.
  • Old-fashioned rolled outs are steamed and then flattened with rollers. 
  • Quick-cooking oats are rolled even thinner, so they take less time to cook than old-fashioned.
  • Instant oats are actually already cooked and then dried again (just add water and they're ready).
.

2 comments:

Elizabeth (Foodie, Formerly Fat) said...

How's this for messed up? I bought some organic, less refined sugar, Nutella knock-off that is awesome. I just made some of this Scottish Oatmeal and stirred in a spoonful of chocolate hazelnut goodness. Holy cow it's good. Leave it to me to take something as healthy as oatmeal and turn it into a vehicle for chocolate!

Susan said...

Some may say it's messed up...I say STROKE OF GENIUS!

Post a Comment